Software Support Engineer
To help us keep improving the quality of our services both amongst staff and externally to our clients, we are looking for a software developer to help maintain, build and evolve our internal systems.
This is a full time positon based at our office near Monument in London with a salary range between £33k and £43k with a discretionary bonus, depending on experience.
The successful candidate will work within a small multi-disciplinary team helping to support colleagues and external clients and maintain/enhance systems. You will be part developer, part investigator, and all about customer satisfaction! You love it when customers present a wide variety of problems that require your particular brand of agile-thinking and problem-solving skills. New problems every day? No problem — especially when you don’t already know the answers, because you’re happiest when you’re learning something new!
What you’ll be doing:
- 1st and 2nd Line Support (Helpdesk and Deskside)
- Investigate, research, debug, and solve problems, interacting with internal and external customers
- Improve, expand, and develop the documentation, resource materials and technical FAQs
- Systems and performance monitoring
- Trend analysis and problem management
- Supporting Users on both hardware and Software applications
- Desktop/Laptop Builds
- Desk deployments
- Enhancing existing systems. Improving/refining existing features and performance
- Building new features/systems
The selected candidate will be reporting to and working with the Head of Technology.
You will be responsible for support and maintenance (60%), enhancing (20%) and building (20%) internal systems in order to drive efficiencies into our business by automating processes, reducing manual touch points and increasing the visibility of key metrics to management. In addition, you need to be flexible enough to step out from pure support and to think about opportunities for enhancements or new features or products that could improve the efficiency of our operation.
Skills, Experience and Education
- Experience in supporting IT systems and applications, with strong programming skills in Java preferable.
- Can diagnose problems with Windows computers and software
- Understanding of relational databases, how they are structured and how to query them: MySQL, JPA 2.0
- Strong data analytical skills
- Experience with Active Directory and Windows Server management
- Understanding RESTful APIs
- Phenomenal teamwork and interpersonal skills, strong communication skills, proactive attitude, and a drive for results
- BSc in Computer Science or related IT degree
- Experience of Spring framework including Spring Data
- Understanding of financial concepts: Portfolios, Securities, Valuations, Transactions, Tax wrappers
Beneficial but not essential, however you will need to understand these well in order to survive in this role so a desire to learn is necessary
- Agile principals
- Current stack includes Ubuntu, Docker, Nginx, Java, PHP, MySQL, FileMaker
Experience with any or all of these is desirable
In addition to being able to demonstrate the skills above you will need to ensure that the people and the company are a good fit for you as a person. You will need:
- To be a team player with a proactive attitude and the ability to be productive in a dynamic environment
- Have a strong work ethic and pragmatic approach
- Strong oral and written communications skills
- Strong critical and analytical thinking
- To be eager to learn the ins and outs of an industry that you may not have exposure or experience with before
- To have a desire to help and to streamline processes to make the human experience as easy and pain free as possible
- To use initiative to identify new opportunities for improvement
- 25 days annual leave.
- Auto enrolled into the company pension scheme after 3 months employment – matched employer pension contributions up to 6% of salary
- GLA (4 x Salary) & GIP (75% of Salary).
- Opportunity to join company SIP share scheme and electric vehicle car scheme after a year’s employment.
- Flexible & Remote Working Policy in operation.
- Cycle to work scheme – soon to be introduced.